Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Custom Interior Part 1.5

Since beginning this interior project I have done a lot of looking around on The Samba to see what other people are doing inside their bus.  I've yet to find one like mine but there are a LOT of great ideas to be had there.  My favorite custom tin top interior has to be Klaussinator's, he's posted his setup in a few threads that I have found but this one is good to see his, plus some other's too...

Custom Interiors on The Samba

I mention this because his interior is made up almost exclusively from recycled (things from the dump, things laying around the house, etc...) materials.  This inspired me to start looking around the house and elsewhere to do my next two little projects.  I have enough scrap wood (from finished house projects) in the crawl space in my basement to build a small house, yet everytime I start a new project I head off to Lowes.  So the couple small things below are inspired by Klaussinator, and I intend to continue the trend of using old stuff whenever I can.  It actually made the project more fun.

First was a center console to go between the front seats.  I had enough scrap wood around my house for the box, and I found the hinges in a long forgotten box in my basement.  The interior lining is from an old jacket I found at my office; it was an employee's who passed away a couple of years ago.  He was a great guy and a great worker, so it's nice to have something of his riding around with me.  The pockets and such inside are from an old laptop bag.



Next was a toolbox for the back, I was tired of everything sliding around when I took a turn.  I'm not sure if this will stay permanently or not because it might take up more space than I like, but it works for now.  Again, all scrap wood, hinges, and fasteners.  Eventually both of these will be covered by my upholstery guy.


No comments:

Post a Comment