Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Custom Interior Part 1

This post is to document the beginning of Betty's custom interior.  I had originally planned on doing something very similar to the SO-23 setup (I came up with this before ever seeing an SO-23 interior, but the plans were similar).  Turn the middle seat around, put a table in the middle, and have the table retract down so the two seats plus the table make up the bed for camping...


I still think this is cool, but before I got around to it I found this one...



Wrap around couch, you say?  Too cool for school.  This one was done by Sewfine Products, http://www.sewfineproducts.com/.  Yes, I am going to attempt to replicate this look by totally ripping off their idea.

My plan was to attempt this look while using the existing seat mounting points.  I had two reasons for doing this.  The most important was that I intend on driving both my kids and my nephews around in here.  If I was ever in an accident I would really like to rely on the German engineers safety measures as opposed to my own.  Also, if anyone was ever hurt I could tell my wife to blame the original designers instead of taking the fall for something I fabbed up myself.  The second reason was just to see if I could.

I started by pulling out the interior and getting everything down to the frames.  This was pretty simple once I discovered how to properly use my Dremel and a cut-off wheel.  Afterwards I was left with this...
Rear seat -

Middle seat -

I started with the middle seat because I thought it would be the easiest to work with.  This one will be turned around facing the sliding door but on the opposite wall.  I built a box (w/ basically just a jigsaw, mind you, hence the poor cuts) to go around the frame, the idea is to have a removable cushion on top in order to access storage below.  In order to use the existing mounting brackets I (well technically not I, but my brother-in-law) also had to weld in a crossmember to the front bottom of the frame since the seat is not designed to face this way.  In progress and finished pics...



For the rear seat I had to go a different route since I couldn't really build a box to slide in around the frame.  I guess pictures can explain it better than I...
I cut out speaker holes and removed the side piece off the back seat because I would like to be able to continue to fold down the top half of that seat if possible.  I'm hoping the upholstery guy can figure something out that I can put in that void that is removable. 
A couple of coats of Poly with the help of the fam (brother-in-law and youngest son here) and the final dry fit before off to the upholstery guy it goes.



While that's being done I'm going to work on a few other minor projects and begin rust-proofing and insulating the back.  More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment